Stories I Only Tell My Friends

Stories I Only Tell My Friends - Rob Lowe Fascinating perspective from an actor who was one of my "poster boys" when I was growing up in the 80s. While my impression of Rob Lowe has always been that of a pretty-boy party hound, after reading this book, I have a new appreciation for what his life must have been like. He's emerged from the other side of extreme fame as a grounded family man who seems to have his act together.

That said, Lowe does not delve very deeply into the party aspect of his life. Anyone looking for salacious gossip and who-did-what-and-when facts will not find them in this book. Lowe glosses over his party years by simply admitting that he "self-medicated" heavily with booze, drugs, parties and women. But he never goes into much detail. Even the major scandals he went through are only barely mentioned, as are his romances with famous people like Melissa Gilbert (supposedly they were engaged - he never mentions this at all!) and others. You won't find juicy stuff in this book, if that's what you're after.

While the first two thirds of the book are devoted to Lowe's growing up, entry into the world of acting, and first big role as a part of the boys' club that was The Outsiders, only a paltry chapter or so was spent on his career-defining turn as The West Wing's Sam Seaborne. I certainly wish he would have spent more page count on that time period. It seems that he wasn't well treated while working on that show, and while he never whines or complains about the situation other than to say he felt he had to leave, I did want to know more about his reasons for leaving such a successful show.

One last remark - this book almost seems like the ultimate mea culpa to his wife, Sheryl. By all outward appearances, Lowe is completely devoted to her and cannot go for long without mentioning how she is responsible for turning his life around. While this is certainly admirable and sweet, it got a little bit cloying after a while. No woman is that fantastic.

A nice, light read for those who enjoy celebrity autobiographies. It does make me want to read more about the members of the Brat Pack who played such a big cultural role in my growing up years.