Easy

Easy  - Tammara Webber To be honest, I'd give this book a 3.5 stars review if I could. Overall, the story kept me turning the pages which is a great thing. And the effect of the whole was very much greater than the sum of the parts, which is why I have problems giving it a higher rating.

The main problem I had with this book is the fact that it's a kitchen sink story - everything but the kitchen sink was in it as far as cliches.

Perfect Mysterious Bad Boy? Check
Damsel In Distress Heroine? Check
Jerk of an ex-boyfriend? Check
Perfect Perky Roommate? Check
Deep, Angsty Past for one Character? Check
Evil Rapist who Goes Unchecked? Check

And it goes on.

Lucas, while the perfect fictional guy, was very much a Gary Stu. He was beyond perfect to the point of eye-rolling. Smart. Hot. Protective. Great fighter. Artist. Engineer major. (BTW, I generally find the idea of an engineer major who is also a fantastic fine artist to be a bit odd - the mindsets are generally opposites for these two vocations.) Has a cute pet that he rescued. Angsty past. Uber-volunteer. Has to work his way through college by tutoring and working at Starbucks. He was not human. And the things the writer gave him to make him a "bad boy" were just surface effects. Tattoos are fine, but the ring in the lip? Served no purpose other than to make him edgy. Nothing about his personality made him a bad boy. He wasn't a man-whore. He didn't get into any trouble. In fact, he was practically a choir boy. Oh, well, he did ride a motorcycle. Of course.

As for the heroine, Jacqueline, while she was likeable enough, again the writer short-cutted her personality by telling the reader that Jackie was all of these things but never showing us. Apparently, Jackie is a Julliard-level upright bass musician. At that level of talent, music would be her entire life. But all we get are mentions of her missing a practice here or there and how she teaches middle schoolers. Never once did Lucas even seem interested in hearing her play. It was as if Jackie needed some character traits and so the writer gave her that one after picking it out of a bag.

As for the story, overall I liked the premise - girl is saved from a rape by a mysterious guy. But then the writer had to throw in the dual-identity plot. And the Lucas-has-a-tragedy-in-his-past plot. And the dealing-with-the-rapist plot. And the ex-boyfriend plot. It was all over the place.

Finally, there were portions of the story that felt like they were written by a real young adult as opposed to a professional writer. For example, when a teacher tells Jackie about Lucas's past, the dialogue reads like a novel. Very unrealistic - nobody (even a college professor) tells stories verbally that way.

Oddly, for all of the issues I had with characters, plot and writing, I still kept turning the pages. So like I said above, the whole overcomes the problems of the parts.